Black Raspberry Cocoa Overnight Oats - A Healthy, Quick Breakfast May 04 2022, 0 Comments
Spring is always a busy time for us. On the farm, we are getting rows of black raspberry plants ready for warmer days and more sun, and in the office we are already planning out the post-harvest production schedule. Long days at the office also means less time in the morning to make breakfast and get off to a healthy start.
Lately, when we want an easy breakfast, overnight oats have been a go-to meal. You can do all the prep the night before, and all you need is a jar and a spoon to have a delicious, healthy oatmeal the next day!
Cocoa Overnight Oats with Black Raspberry Yogurt:
Ingredients (one serving):
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup plain or flavored yogurt (we start with plain and sweeten with a little maple syrup or honey)
- 1 serving (4 grams) black raspberry powder
Add the rolled oats, milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, and salt to a jar or other container. Stir mixture thoroughly until all ingredients are completely incorporated with the milk. Sweeten to taste.
In a separate bowl, mix yogurt and black raspberry powder until combined, and then add a layer of yogurt on top of the overnight oats. If you plan on heating the oats before eating, we would recommend adding the yogurt mixture after heating.
Place the jar in the fridge and let it sit overnight. All done!
- When it comes to choosing oats, make sure you use old-fashioned rolled oats. You certainly could use quick oats as well, but we find the texture to be a little too mushy. Rolled oats hold up much better to an overnight soak.
- This recipe does not have much in the way of sugar. Personally, we like to add a teaspoon of maple syrup to our overnight oats for flavor, and you get a small amount of polyphenols from the syrup.
- Mason jars make for great containers, can be found at most grocery stores, and are very inexpensive. The lids make the jars easy to take on the go as well. For overnight oats, we find the 500 mL jars work well.
- If you want to add more texture to your overnight oats, add some nuts or granola on top before eating!